Innovative communications specialist with unique combination of creative and technological skills. Adept in creating audience-appropriate messaging aligned with business objectives that drive employee awareness and engagement across global cultures.
- Employee engagement and advocacy
- Intranet administration and development
- Audience-appropriate content
- Audience-appropriate content
- Web usability and best practices
Freelance web and content manager
Creation and administration of news channel web site for online university including site development, creating, editing and writing news content.
- Development of site based on WordPress template.
- Write and edit news content including student and faculty interviews, industry trends, job hunt tips and executive messages.
- Content management including topic matter and training contributors on uploading articles and content to site.
- Work with Social Media director to ensure branding and messaging on the news site is aligned with social media postings.
- Cross-posting to social media sites including Linkedin, Twitter and Facebook.
LexisNexis Group, Cary, NC
Manager, Internal Communications
Partnered with the Director of Internal Communications and Global Vice President of Human Resources support executive efforts to raise employee engagement in global corporation of 18,000 employees and provide venues for senior executives to interact with employees.
- Oversaw redesign and migration of global intranet to enhance usability and increase quality and amount of content. Consistently wrote and published engaging feature stories and articles and ensured messaging alignment in electronic communications on global, location, business unit and functional area levels. Content and design enhancement resulted in a 30% increase of site traffic and 15% increase in content.
- Created promotional campaign for launch of new intranet including collateral to distribute to employees.
- Interacted with executives and senior employees to plan and execute all-employee conference calls, webinars and town halls supporting their initiative to enhance employee engagement by reinforcing their value to the company and build alignment with the company’s vision.
- Performed as intranet administrator; created sites, provided technical and content support for site owners and contributors; created best practices, style and usability guidelines.
- Developed and implemented internal communications programs to engage employees such as creating methods for employee submissions of stories about themselves or co-workers and a blog for employees to give praise to a coworker who helped them or a customer.
- Launched a program for employee-generated videos, “LexisNexis: Live on Location,” where employees video-taped events at their location or showed the services their business area provided our customers.
- Developed a “Great Place to Work” web site with tools and materials for managers to use to enhance their interaction with employees.
- Provided business units and functional areas support for effectively communicating key initiatives to employees and senior executives including:
- Creating a web site and working on promotional material to announce a new branding scheme.
- Worked with Human Resources on email and web content for open enrollment.
- Provided web site development and content for advising employees of an update to travel and expense reporting.
- Managed one full-time and one temporary employee.
- Member of Global Web Governance, Crisis Communications Management, Business Continuity and Social Media Steering committees.
- Received three LexisNexis “Great Performer” awards and 2008 HR Summit One Team Award.
ABB Inc., Raleigh, NC
U.S. Web Site Manager
Provided management of design and content for external and internal web sites; worked as part of Internal Communications team supporting North American management and business unit communicators.
- Worked on project for redesign and rebranding of the corporate intranet to meet objectives of North American managers in communicating change, customer relationships, efficiency and new business processes to employees.
- Acted as liaison with ABB Group Web Management for North America’s internal and external web initiatives and messaging alignment; lead contact for web projects and initiatives.
- Provided status of web initiatives with annual presentation at North American communicators’ conferences.
- Member of team that received “IABC 2005 Vision Award of Merit: Employee/Member Communications, ABB Inc. U.S. Communications.”
- Conceived and created enhancements, new features and editorial sections on intranet to highlight best practices, employee activities and senior management profiles. Traffic to intranet rose 25%.
- Wrote and edited news and feature articles for intranet; ensured audience-appropriate content on global, functional area and business unit sites.
- Worked with team on redesign of external site; provided enhanced content and improved page usability. External site had a 30% increase in traffic.
- Lead cross-functional team charged with effecting improvements to existing, and creation of new, web tools for external site, tailored to site owners’ and users’ needs. Worked with Global Web Management on methods of instituting desired changes.
- Provided event planning for tradeshows and communications conferences.
- Performed as interim internal communications coordinator.
ABB Inc. / Kforce, Raleigh, NC
U.S. Intranet Manager
Coordinated and managed internal communications and intranet content with North American management and business unit communicators.
- Performed as manager and provider of North American intranet web content including news articles and features, ensuring consistent messaging.
- Provided content research and development, graphics development and designed cross-divisional product presentation.
- Created product and procedure documents to support site owners in developing web sites and provided guidelines for design and development of pages and content.
- Provided training on the use of proprietary web page templates and the tools for such items as news, response forms, subscriptions integrated within Domino/Lotus Notes web templates.
- Hired as permanent employee May 2006 and promoted to U.S. Web Manager.
ABB Inc. / Kforce, Raleigh, NC
Project Manager, Web Content
Developed web content and provided site support for business units and functional areas on the U.S. ABB intranet.
- Created presentations, provided project planning and documentation.
- Supported customers with documentation, troubleshooting and web site and design for web content owners, Lotus Notes application users and internal customers.
- Received Kforce STAR Consultant award.
- Promoted to U.S. Intranet Manager January 2004.
Tangram Enterprise Solutions / TPS, Cary, NC
Project Leader, Online Help
- Project manager for converting and rebranding online and hardcopy documentation for software application acquisition. Completed project two weeks ahead of deadline.
- Coordinated meetings, worked with developers and management to complete project goals by deadline of June 2001.
- Recoded approximately 300 HTML online files, testing and correcting links; rewrote user's guide, administrator's guide, training workbooks, release notes, and resource notes using files.
- Tested online help documentation; scheduled tests for guides, workbooks and notes by Writing Team members.
Micromass Communications/TPS, Cary, NC
- Created marketing material for major pharmaceutical company.
- Researched material and wrote documents for a specialized support program for patients using a new weight-reduction drug.
- Wrote articles for weekly and monthly newsletter provided to clients by pharmaceutical customer.
- Produced web page content for customers choosing to access information via the Internet rather than receiving hard copy documentation in the mail.
- Used object-based tailoring technology for customer base identification and information dissemination.
NewSouth Communications, Raleigh, NC
Network Technician/Technical Writer
- Member of team that brought in 20% of revenue with less than 10% of resources.
- Provisioned new data clients on Cisco hardware; helped in troubleshooting connectivity issues; provided second-level support for business clients and fielded data sales phone calls on "Databusters" hotline.
- Created online documentation library for headquarters and regional markets.
- Created online sales documentation database of FAQs on basic Internet terminology, protocols and hardware.
- Created numerous documents for email administration, web hosting, online web building product, IP addressing for use by internal and external clients.
- Webmaster for intranet web presence and maintained a central repository of information for team members within web site.
NCSU Department of Agricultural Communications, Raleigh, NC
Support for Agricultural Communications writing team and North Carolina Cooperative Extension staff and county agents
Wrote, proofread and edited press releases.
- Maintained North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service's 1-800 dial access information system, Teletip.
- Distributed material and information via Internet to field and county agents.
- Produced and narrated slide scripts; provided voiceovers.
- Produced and narrated radio programs including Economic Focus and Economic Perspective for the NCCES.
- Served on variety of departmental and interdepartmental committees including Strategic Planning Committee for Department of Agricultural Communications and university-wide Advisory Committee to Chancellor for SPA Employees.
NCSU Department of Food Science Extension, Raleigh, NC
Documentation and research under North Carolina Pollution Prevent Pays Program to reduce wastewater in food processing industry.
- Assistant to professor under a grant to reduce wastewater in food processing plants as part of the Pollution Prevention Pays program. Included on-site research at factory.
- Developed training media, print and audio, detailing new processes to reduce waste in drainage system for employees at food processing plant.
- Created, edited and designed leaflets, brochures, manual, research papers and slide presentations, including narration.
- Edited technical papers, proofread manuals, brochures and other print media for research projects.
- Applied for and received funding for 5-minute training video from the NC State. University Department of Food Science Extension in cooperation with the North Carolina Pollution Prevention Pays Program. Created script, produced and directed video, "BOD Busters," as a visual aid for training food process plant employees.
Associates of Applied Science, Food Technology, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
- Deans' List, Philip Morris Scholar
- Mass Communications courses, including radio, television, copy editing, news writing.
- Adobe Dreaweaver
- Adobe Photoshop CS5
- SharePoint MOSS 2007
- Lotus Notes/Domino 5.0
- Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Photoshop CS5
- Microsoft Office 2007
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Power Point
- Microsoft Publisher
- Microsoft Outlook
- Viso Professional and Technical
"Communication - -the human connection - -is the key to personal and career success." ~ Paul J. Meyer